This document presents Canada’s concerns over the FQD in a meeting with Prime Minister Stephen Harper, which plans to implement higher GHG intensity values for crude oil obtained from tar sands which are different than those of conventional crude oils currently used within Europe, mostly because of higher extraction costs, in that Canada claims that the average lifecycle of crude oil derived from tar sands has GHG levels in the range as other crude oil sources currently used and traded globally.
- Civil Society Reacts to Canada’s Newly Announced Federal Climate Target
- New research: Canada can double climate ambition for 2030 and reduce energy costs
- Federal Budget React: Canadian Civil Society Responds
- Press Release: International experts urge Canada to step up ambition, climate finance, green investments and prioritize a just transition and climate justice
- Environmental groups urge federal parliamentarians to unblock climate bill