This document outlines information pertaining to renewable energy in Canada in preparation for the IEA Ministerial Meeting. It discusses how Canada is a leader in renewable energy technologies, currently renewable energies account for 61% of Canada’s electricity generation (59% of which is hydro), and Canada is committed to increasing this to 90% by 2020. It also discusses several provinces contributing to this goal, such as Ontario’s Green Energy and Green Economy Act.
- Civil Society Reacts to Canada’s Newly Announced Federal Climate Target
- New research: Canada can double climate ambition for 2030 and reduce energy costs
- Federal Budget React: Canadian Civil Society Responds
- Press Release: International experts urge Canada to step up ambition, climate finance, green investments and prioritize a just transition and climate justice
- Environmental groups urge federal parliamentarians to unblock climate bill