Climate Action Network – Réseau action climat (CAN-Rac) Canada is looking for a dynamic professional for the position of Operations and Outreach Administrator to work with the Network’s secretariat in Ottawa. The Operations and Outreach Administrator will report to the Executive Director and Board of Directors. An ideal candidate will have an excellent track record in: in-person, written and electronic communications, including social media campaigns; working independently and showing initiative while operating in a team; website maintenance; administrative experience, and; financial tracking. Experience with CAN-Rac Canada’s core issues – which include climate change and energy policy and related social, economic and environmental justice issues – is desirable.
This is an exciting opportunity for the right person to work alongside the Executive Director to take the Network to the next phase, working with the new Federal government on climate-related issues.
CAN-Rac Canada is a coalition of more than 100 organizations from across Canada that cares about how a changing climate affects people, plants and wildlife.
CAN-Rac Canada is one of many regional nodes in Climate Action Network International.
While Climate Action Network nodes exist all over the world, Canada’s is the only one that brings environmental NGOs together with trade unions, First Nations, social justice, health and youth organizations, faith groups and local, grassroots initiatives.
The Operations and Outreach Administrator, under the supervision of the Executive Director, will support ongoing operations of the organization, focusing on communications, and day-to-day administrative functions. Core responsibilities include:
- Working closely with and anticipating the Executive Director’s needs.
- Proactively posting to all social media channels regularly. These channels include Facebook, Twitter and a WordPress based website.
- Website management and maintenance, posting environmental news stories, studies, press
releases, and publications to the website regularly.
- Coordination of CAN-Rac’s weekly electronic newsletter – a compendium of the week’s environmental news, including internal press releases and publications, as well as CAN-Rac’s member feature segment.
- Organizing member teleconference calls and board calls as required.
- Note taking/preparation of minutes for CAN-Rac board meetings and membership teleconferences.
- Administering membership renewals and new memberships.
- Supporting logistics and management of CAN-Rac events.
- Maintaining membership lists with up to date information, sending and tracking membership renewal letters.
- Assisting CAN-Rac’s accountant as required, including deposits, coordinating cheque signings, and other requested duties.
- Responding to and distributing incoming mail, assisting with correspondence.
- Record-keeping, with the successful candidate responsible for the digital filing and organization of CAN-Rac documents.
- The successful candidate will be expected to follow CAN-Rac bylaws and operations policies, under the supervision of the Executive Director.
SUPERVISION & OFFICE RELATIONSHIPS
The Operations and Outreach Administrator reports to the Executive Director and, when required, Chair of the Board of Directors. This position is based in Ottawa, Ontario at CAN-Rac’s office located on Bronson Avenue.
The Hiring Committee will prefer candidates with experience and knowledge in the following areas:
- The not-for-profit sector
- Social media communications
- Documentation and information management
- Word Press
- Mail Chimp
- Basic graphic design and digital content generation
- Using Microsoft word, excel, gmail and dropbox.
- Fluency in both official languages is required.
This position is initially offered at four days per week but may increase to five in the future. Remuneration is based on a rate of $21/hr. In the absence of group benefits, 5% will be paid out for health benefits. Three weeks of vacation per year are offered.
Preferred start date is October 10, 2016 or as soon thereafter as possible.
Please send a resume, the names and contact information of two references, and a cover letter – outlining your interest in the position and qualifications to the Executive Director at email@example.com
No phone calls please. Only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted.
Closing date: September 28, 2016 at 9pm EST